Registered Practical Nurses Scholarship
This scholarship is intended to (1) increase the number of Chapleau students/ residents enrolled in a Registered Practical Nursing program, (2) support those already attending a Practical Nursing educational program and (3) encourage students/residents to return to Chapleau to practice their profession. Studies have shown that people from rural and remote towns are most likely to return to practice in those areas. On the basis of these studies, supporting our own citizens will help to ensure that there will always be enough Registered Practical Nurses to provide a high quality of health care in the community of Chapleau.
Applicants must meet the following criteria:
- Be a resident of Chapleau for a minimum of 2 years (Students already attending a post-secondary program are still considered Chapleau residents).
- Be accepted in a Registered Practical Nursing program.
- Be committed to live and work in Chapleau after graduating from a nursing program.
- Have a minimum of a 70% average.
- Being a volunteer or having worked for any Chapleau Health Services programs or services will be considered an asset.
Applicants are required to provide the following information in order to be eligible to receive the scholarship:
- An application form that is completed and signed. An application form may be found at the bottom of this page.
- A copy of a letter of acceptance into an approved Registered Practical Nursing program. This can be conditional pending final approval from the school.
- If the applicant is not presently attending a high school in Chapleau, proof of residency in Chapleau is required (eg. A bill with the applicant's name and address, a letter from an employer etc.)
- A letter indicating commitment to practising in Chapleau after graduation. (One page type-written) eg. Why do you wish to work in Chapleau?
- A copy of most recent grades or transcript of marks.
Terms of the Scholarship
This scholarship is for one year only. However, a student may re-apply each year that he or she is studying to be a Registered Practical Nurse.
Applicants who are denied funding in one year may re-apply in any subsequent year.
Students studying or who will be studying on a part-time basis are eligible to apply for the scholarship. The amount of the scholarship will be prorated according to the number of courses being taken. It is the responsibility of the part-time student to provide the proof to the Scholarship Committee on his or her course load / credits in relation to a full-time course load.
Students who are awarded a full-time scholarship and reduce their course load to part-time during a term will continue to receive the full-time scholarship amount for that term. Students will be required to indicate their intentions for the subsequent term and to provide supporting evidence. The scholarship amount they receive in the second term shall be adjusted according to their course load.
Students who are awarded a part-time scholarship and who wish to increase their course load to full-time the following term will continue to receive the part-time scholarship during their present term. Students will be required to indicate their intentions for the subsequent term and to provide supporting evidence. The scholarship amount they receive in the second term shall be adjusted according to their course load.
If the applicant awarded the scholarship cannot complete his or her studies, the Chapleau General Hospital Foundation must be contacted immediately.
The Foundation may withdraw this award for which, in any year, no qualified applicant is found.
Method of payment
Payment will be made directly to the student.
Scholarship recipients must provide proof of payment of their tuition before a cheque will be released to them.
Once a student has been approved for a full-time scholarship, he or she will be paid half of the amount of the award at the beginning of the first academic term and half at the beginning of the second academic term.
Applications with complete documentation must be submitted by June 9th. No application submissions will be accepted after this date.
All documentation should be submitted to the Chapleau General Hospital Foundation C/O Scholarship Committee, Box 747, 6 Broomhead Rd., Chapleau, ON, P0M 1K0.
A committee will be responsible for awarding the scholarship.
The Scholarship Committee will be comprised of a representative from the Services de santé de Chapleau Health Services Board of Directors, a representative from the Recruitment and Retention Committee, a community representative, the Chief Executive Officer of the hospital and the Director of Clinical Services.
Preference will be given to those applicants who demonstrate a commitment to practising their profession in Chapleau.
Being a volunteer or having worked for any Chapleau Health Services programs or services will be considered an asset.
All applicants shall be notified in writing once the decision has been made.
Decisions by the Scholarship Committee are final. There is no appeal process.
A list, based on students' overall average grades, will be compiled from the unsuccessful applicants. In the event that a successful applicant decides not to accept, or becomes ineligible for the scholarship, the Scholarship Committee reserves the right to give consideration to applicants on this list.
For further information, please contact Julia Bignucolo at 864-3061.